This is a work in progress, with some sections to be completed. Please check back for updates, or contact us with suggestions.
- Elements are sequenced as application-environment-resource, such as
- Hyphen is the delimiter
- In the rare event that a hyphen is not allowed, use
- Do not use version names; add as a tag if absolutely required
- Application-Environment, e.g. Academy-Production
- Initial letters are CAPITALS
When creating an EC2, you must give it a human-readable name via a tag. The name tag is auto-generated when the EC2 instance is created via Terraform (using the EC2 module in the infrastructure repo). This should be, as a minimum, application-environment; for example:
Note: Because names are generated automatically when the instance is created, all characters are converted to lower case by default in the module.
The following conventions are to be agreed:
- AWS networking
- GitHub repos and CI
- Terraform modules and resources
For now, please try to follow the general examples of other names in the repo, or post in #ask-devops on Slack.