A refresher on the benefits of microfrontends in the context of Hackney Council:
- Each team has the power to deploy microfrontends independently
- Teams can benefit from other teams and collectively contribute to wider Hackney standards
We propose using a tried a tested microfrontend framework called single-spa for scaffolding MFE applications.
The framework documentation can be found here.
The microfrontend's that are built will still be applications that developers are already used to.In another words if you would have built with a project with React JS, you can stay assured that you will be building with React JS. (this would apply to other frontend frameworks as well!)
Setting up a MFE using single span is very easy, you can begin scaffolding an application with the CLI with the command below:
The CLI neatly allows you to scaffold the root config or the MFE applications.
Start by selecting the option most relevant to you:
- single-spa application / parcel
- in-browser utility module (styleguide, api cache, etc)
- single-spa root config
Select the FE frameworks of choice:
Select the preferred package manager:
- e.g mtfh (modern tools for housing)
- e.g tenure (for the tenure screen)
After choosing your options, the CLI will scaffold the project as per your needs
If you already are aware of the endpoints you might use, feel free to update the README.md for others to see how they can run your project locally.
Click here for an example of a README.md you can take inspiration from.